Total Lunar Eclipse!
A public event to view the total lunar eclipse
Event Begins 7:00 p.m. Monday, April 14
Event Ends 2:00 a.m. Tuesday, April 15
ADMISSION IS FREE - BUILDING IS OPEN
SHOWS IN THE SAMUEL OSCHIN PLANETARIUM
- Building, roof, and Zeiss telescope OPEN
- Lawn telescopes, binoculars, and naked eye viewing from lawn, sidewalks, and terraces
- Shows in the Samuel Oschin Planetarium (7:45 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 10:15 p.m., 11:15 p.m.)
(Children under 5 may attend ONLY the first show of the evening)
- Café at the End of the Universe and Stellar Emporium OPEN (starting at 7:00 p.m.)
- LiveStream of the eclipse live from the Zeiss dome on Griffith Observatory's LiveStream page.
- Special presentation about the Moon with Griffith Observatory Curator, Dr. Laura Danly, and Griffith Observatory Astronomical Observer, Anthony Cook. Joint program with the Los Angeles Astronomical Society.
|EVENT BEGINS||7:00 p.m. (and building opens)|
|Moon rises||7:08 p.m.|
|Moon presentation begins in the|
Leonard Nimoy Event Horizon
|Penumbral eclipse begins||9:53 p.m.|
|Umbral eclipse begins||10:58 p.m. (this is the visible “bite” out of the Moon)|
|Totality begins||12:06 a.m. (Moon is totally covered in shadow)|
|Maximum eclipse||12:46 a.m.|
|Totality ends||1:24 a.m. (Moon emerges from shadow)|
|Building closes||1:45 a.m.|
|EVENT ENDS||2:00 a.m.|
|Umbral eclipse ends||2:33 a.m.|
|Penumbral eclipse ends||3:37 a.m.|
Advice for Visiting
- We are expecting large crowds. Those attending should expect traffic congestion and long walks from parking.
- For this event only, the Vermont entrance into Griffith Park will remain open until 12:30 a.m. unless the park is full (in which case it will close earlier). Fern Dell gates will close at sunset (as usual).
- Shuttle buses will be running from Greek Theatre parking to the Observatory (7:00 p.m.-2:30 a.m.)
- Please do not bring personal telescopes or lawn chairs to the event.
Bad Weather Plan
If the evening is cloudy, we will show the eclipse live inside the building from elsewhere in the world. The building will be open, and we will run planetarium shows.